Thursday, January 10, 2013

The Polish Approach


Ever since I've arrived I've tried to take in my surroundings and be observant of the environment around me and almost immediately I realized something that was very different from the United States. Walking around the streets I have seen very few people on their cell phones. I have also witnessed the same thing when we have been at cafes, restaurants, on the tram, and at the shopping malls. I rarely see people texting or playing with apps on the phone. Since people seldom use their phone I haven't been able to determine how popular smart phones are. I have seen billboards for both iPhones and the Galaxy III but the prices were very high for both products. 

The limited use of cell phones has been refreshing, as I will admit I am quite addicted to my iPhone. Since my phone only works on wi-fi here I have been using it much less than I would at home and I will leave it back in the room as well since I know that it doesn't have much of a purpose when I am out touring. I know that I feel privileged to have an iPhone and its capabilities are important to staying on top of my schedule and things that I need to do, but I know it is a luxury and I know I spend too much time using my phone. I think that smart phones are a huge distraction and they are our immediate "go to" whenever we feel slightly bored. We tune out our surroundings and we direct all of our focus at the bright screen in front of us, and I think we miss out on things that are going on around us. I love how the people here are content to be present in the moment and remove the distraction of their phone. I think this is especially important in the cafe or restaurant settings where they are not distracted by their phone but they are present in the conversation that they are having with the person they are with. 

Something that I have noticed about Poland is that it is also has a very casual atmosphere. I haven't felt the sense of urgency in anything that we have done and I haven't seen anyone on the street that looks like they are in a hurray. At one of the cafes that I like to frequent, Castor Coffee Club, the setting is very casual. There are couches and cozy chairs and the whole place has a very welcoming atmosphere. The waitresses aren't particularly quick at coming to take orders but it is a nice feeling that they aren't being overbearing which can sometimes be felt in the US. After we receive our drinks or food that is the last that we see of the waitress as she leaves us alone to our conversation. It is different than what we are used to, but I like it. I feel like I can stay as long as I would like and I can just be comfortable. Another interesting piece of the cafe is that we paid as we left, they just trusted that we would tell them what we had to eat and that we would pay for it. 

I have also found this casual atmosphere in the stores and shops. The owners or employees of the stores are not pushy and do not immediately "attack" their customers. This has made me feel a lot more at ease when I have been browsing through shops and looking at different goods. I like the feeling of not being pressured into looking at things and it doesn't scare me away from looking at items more closely. Seeing this difference to American shows me how abrasive the sales clerks can be and how uncomfortable it can make shopping. 

Just from my observances it seems that the Poles are not bothered by as much as Americans are and they are easily satisfied. I think the lack of attachment to their cell phones plays a big role in this and has them more engaged in what is right in front of them. I admire this about the Polish people and it makes me wish that I would remember to stop more often and forget my phone and all of the distractions in my mind and just be a part of the moment that I am in.

No comments:

Post a Comment